For arresting the brother-in-law of billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, the Federal High Court in Lagos on Monday entered judgment against the Nigeria Police Force. In the fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by Mr. Okwuchukwu Obiechina, said to be Evans’ brother-in-law, Justice Mohammed Idris, on Monday, declared Obiechina’s arrest and detention unconstitutional. The judge ruled that the remand order which the police claimed to have obtained from a magistrates’ court was invalid. Apart from ordering the police to immediately release Obiechina unconditionally or charge him to court if they have any case against him, the court also awarded N2m damages in his favour against the police. Justice Idris also ordered the police to tender a public apology to Obiechina to be published in two national dailies.
The Police Command in Borno on Monday said 16 persons were killed and 18 others sustained injuries in multiple suicide bomb attacks at Muna area of Maiduguri. The Police Commissioner, Mr Damian Chukwu, confirmed the incident in a text message sent to newsmen in Maiduguri. Chukwu said that the incident occurred when a male suicide bomber detonated an explosive device in a crowded area, killing 13 people and wounding five others. He said two other female suicide bombers also detonated Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) strapped to their bodies and injured 13 persons. “On 22/10/2017 at about 20: 20 hours a male suicide bomber detonated IED strapped to his body at Muna Garage, killing himself and thirteen persons, while five others sustained injuries. “In another development at Muna Dalti, two female suicide bombers detonated IEDs killing themselves and injuring 13 others. “The Injured persons were referred to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) for treatment and corpses were evacuated. “Police EOD teams have been deployed to sanitise the scene. “In all, 16 persons were killed and 18 others injured in the three explosions,” the commissioner said. Also, Alhaji Satomi Ahmad, the Chairman, Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said the agency had conducted rescue exercise at the scene of the attack. Satomi said that the State Government would provide free medical treatment to the victims. He called on the people to be vigilant and provide useful information to security agencies. “We have recorded about 13 suicide bomb attacks this year at Muna area. The area is vulnerable and I advise residents to be more vigilant,”the chairman said.
Kebbi State Accountant-General Mohammed Dakingari has been sentenced to 70 years imprisonment for fraud. The Court of Appeal sitting in Kebbi found him guilty of N1.6 billion fraud. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) stated that the Kebbi State High Court had earlier discharged and acquitted Dakingari, but the Court of Appeal today overruled it and upheld the EFCC appeal. Dakingari was initially arrested and detained by the EFCC in Abuja back in 2013 for allegedly using a company that is wholly owned by him, Beal Construction Nigeria Limited, to award various contracts to himself.
The man who jumped off the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge into the Lagos lagoon on Friday morning has been identified as Oluseyi Adekunle. Adekunle, who, appeared to be on his way to work dropped his bag at the rails before taking the plunge into the Lagoon in an apparent suicide bid. His ATM card and other items were recovered from the scene of the sad incident, thereby revealing his identity. Officials of the Lagos Waterways Authority, the state emergency management agency and the marine police rushed to the scene in an attempt to rescue the victim, Channels Television reports. After a four-hour search without recovery of the body, the officials had to call off the joint operation. The authorities are still investigating the cause of Adekunle’s action as he is believed to have committed suicide. This incident comes barely six months after a medical doctor identified as Allwell Orji jumped to his death from the third mainland bridge into the lagoon.
An aged woman, Mrs Margaret Okere, on Thursday regained her sight after undergoing examination at the ongoing Nigerian Army medical outreach at Umuokwa Community, Igboh-Etche, Etche Local Government Area of Rivers. Our Source reports that the Nigerian Army is conducting educational and medical outreach programme in host communities where the ‘Exercise Crocodile Smile 2’ is going on. Okere told newsmen during the programme that she had not been able to see for a long time. “I regained my sight after the doctors here examined me, gave me eye drop and eye glass. “My grandson brought me here when he heard that there will be a military free medical outreach. I give God the glory, as I can see very well now. “God bless the Nigerian military for carrying out this exercise,” she said. Mrs Promise Okechukwu, a native of Umuokwa, said that she and her baby were examined and given the necessary drugs. “Since I put to bed six months ago, my baby has been vomiting but today she has been taken care of free of charge by the army medical team. “I thank god and very grateful to the army for bringing this programme to my community,” she said. Another beneficiary, Mr Samuel Nwankwo said that the army free medical programme was the first ever carried out in the community. Nwankwo said that he was happy and thanked God for directing the military to come to his community. “Today, I have gotten the opportunity for my eye to be examined and necessary eye drop given to me. “I thank the army, they are not what people are saying they are, God bless them,” he said. Mrs Lilian Nwala, another beneficiary, said that she was at the centre for medical examination. “They are very friendly, as the medical personnel were attending to us one after the other. “I’m happy for the drugs they have given me after the examination, and I pray this continue,” she said. Another beneficiary, Mr Clement Emejuru urged the community to cooperate and get themselves treated. Emejuru disclosed that he was examined by a dentist and all the drugs he needed had been given to him. “What the army is doing is very fantastic, they are helping us to be healthy and live longer. “The army has never carried out shooting in Igbo-Etche before, so this is not a programme to scare us but to keep us alive,” he said. Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), represented by Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, Chief of Logistics (Army), said that the outreach was a civic responsibility to create smooth relationship with host communities. Buratai said that the army had always carried out positive activities in any community they were to ensure that the people were comfortable. “In some places that we are, if they don’t have water, we provide boreholes for them to get water, where there are medical challenges; we provide solution for them. “Places where we think the primary or secondary school is lacking educational materials, we also provide for as part of our civic responsibility,” he said. The COAS said that the rumoured military vaccine was a creation of miscreants that were not comfortable with military’s resolve to fix them. “The army has the responsibility of protecting the Nigerian people’s interest, so whatever people say to tarnish the Nigerian Army, we will not bulge by that. “These are mere propaganda by miscreants and disloyal citizens who go about tarnishing the image of the country and the army,” he added. Dr Samuel Amaechi, the Eze Onyeishi-Agwuru of Igboh-Etche, commended the Nigerian Army for the free medical outreach and called on his subjects to take full advantage of the exercise. While urging other agencies to emulate the gesture, the traditional ruler also called for the sustenance of the programme.